Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Skills for Study?
Skills for Study is an interactive online study skills resource based on the work of, and developed in collaboration with Stella Cottrell, author of the bestselling The Study Skills Handbook.
Skills for Study was previously called skills4studycampus.
Skills for Study enables students to develop their skills by working through twelve modules:
- Getting ready for academic study
- Time Management
- Reading and note-making
- Critical thinking skills
- Writing skills
- Referencing and understanding plagiarism
- Groupwork and presentations
- Confidence with numbers
- Exam skills
- Research Principles
- Projects, dissertations and reports
- Employability and personal development
Key features of Skills for Study:
- diagnostic tests to assess current ability and personalise learning
- practice activities to reinforce new skills
- downloads include a wealth of additional checklists, exercises and advice
- audio and video clips to keep things interesting
- self-assessments and quizzes to test understanding and check progress
- My journal allows students to reflect and keep downloadable notes
Benefits of using Skills for Study with your students:
- Allows students to personalise their learning
- Encourages independent study
- Supports a wide range of students
- Complements existing study skills teaching and resources
A few ideas for using Skills for Study with students:
- Link to Skills for Study from your Moodle course
- Embed videos into your VLE
- Recommend Skills for Study to students who need extra support T
- Incorporate Skills for Study into your own study skills modules
How to access Skills for Study
Skills for Study is available both on and off campus.
The first time you access Skills for Study, you will be prompted to agree to Terms and Conditions by supplying details such as your name and college email, when you have done this you will be directed to Skills for Study, you will not be required to complete this page again. You can then sign in using your Bradford College login details.